Thursday, January 25, 2007

Emotional image No. 2


Visceral: Lack of color immediately makes me feel this is real, documentary, serious stuff. Flowing folds of fabric convey warmth, and sparkles convey luxury and a special occasion. The exotic differences in clothing and facial coloring intrigue, while the familiarity of an elder helping a younger one makes me connect to the people.
Behavioral: The photo makes me want to go see more from the same exhibit, "Families of Abraham," and also make sure I follow up in conversations with my daughter about the exhibit. Her first reaction on seeing an ad for the exhibit on TV was to say, "That's wrong! Indians aren't families of Abraham!" because all the Indians she knows are Hindu. So the exhibit has the ability to quash some stereotypes, with just an ad.
Reflective: (One paragraph, or at least a short posting, I resolved.) I ponder this exhibit's presence on the web and in other media. At the Levine Museum's official site, I don't get enough. I can't click on the images and get big or more photos, and I don't get a slideshow. All on purpose, I realize, to make me go see the exhibit and perhaps look for a forthcoming book. And to protect the work of the photographers, who I know and respect. At the local newspaper's website, I fume about how disjointed and unfindable is coverage of the exhibit, despite beautiful displays in the printed newspaper. I have to go here and then here to get full coverage, and just one day ago, there was a link from the verbal coverage to the multimedia slideshow. Now it's gone. It's not even secondary, which irked me earlier because I'm convinced the visual coverage of the exhibit should come before the verbal coverage.
And I'm willing to bet the verbal coverage may die out and be accessible only through a fee before the exhibit runs its course.
I ponder and fume and resolve to try to find a way to influence such coverage in the future.

No comments: