Thursday, January 25, 2007

Emotional image No. 1


Visceral: Smooth large arcs contrasted with small angular elements create energy, and blues and greens add serenity. Implied texture and technique create a feeling of home. Serene, homelike energy?
Behavioral: The line of buses reminds me of bat-out-of-hell driving to deliver a couple of young ladies to the UNC-Georgia Tech game. I resolve to investigate how to get on those buses for any future trips. I buy a pack of note cards by the designer. And I resolve to document my mom's efforts using the same technique to create a picture.
Reflective: I continue to think about the colors and contrasting simple shapes this designer uses to create tension and peace at the same time. I marvel at her editing and distortion of a scene, and wonder at her ability to rise above it to see views that really are impossible in real life. And I realize the emotional power of this image works best for those who have experienced a basketball game day, noting that we bring our memories to the images we see, and memory seems so closely tied in to visual elements. Think of the souvenirs we buy.
Credit: Photo of a textile collage by Elaine O'Neil, displayed at The Laughing Turtle on Franklin Street in Chapel Hill. Artist's website.

No comments: