Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Curses, color and college viewbooks

You may have heard of the typography curse. Or the design curse. Or the math curse. Those curses are the tendency to see typography, design or math everywhere you look.
Now it's time for the color curse, and the college viewbooks arriving at my house daily are rich material.
Like the Cartier website that a classmate posted in discussions, one rich red viewbook stood out. It's from the Robert E. Cook Honors College at Indiana University of Pennsylvania. I've never heard of it, but the beauty of the book and the chatty content from students required a second look. Their website matches, though a little more subtly and with black accents. Reminds me of oldstyle University of Georgia design. The college's main website uses blue, with just a few red accents. The color differences allow the honors college to differentiate itself from the not-so-selective main school.
The color curse kicked in on the school's main page though, and I found the blog background color I sought. Behold, I've moved on from gray to ffffd1. I'm learning a new language.
Columbia's viewbook: Beautiful typography and a ripoff of Carolina Blue. Columbia's website: Duke Blue.
Dear Columbia: If you want Carolina students, resolve your blue issues. Or is the confusion on purpose?

1 comment:

Josh Meyer said...

The Robert E. Cook was pretty interesting. What is up with the busts...is that Mozart who is an alum? The color of the site actually reminded me of Harvard, which I guess is another good way to say it's a little more prestigious than IUP.

As for Columbia, I don't have that much of a problem with them ripping the Heels off. Rhode Island, on the other hand, not only stole the colors, but also the Ram mascot.