Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Anthropologie, Part 2: Fluffy dollars


Check out ****FLUFFY**DOLLAR$$$****: Trends and Ends
For now, let's go beyond the standard links from Fast Company and Hoover's about the brand Anthropologie. Click on Fluffy Dollars to read yet another person rhapsodize about Anthropologie's stores, but then comes the twist. She declines to open her wallet very wide.
Before the stores increase sales greatly, all the Baby Boom Echo children need to grow up and become doctors and lawyers and bank vice presidents.
The rest of us like to visit, but we wouldn't want to spend there.
Linked blog rated PG.
The store's target customer: 30 to 45 years old, college or post-graduate education, married with kids or in a committed relationship, professional or ex-professional, annual household income of $150,000 to $200,000.
Show me the money: In the three zip codes surrounding the Anthropologie store in Charlotte, about 4,300 households earn more than $150,000 a year, according to Claritas in 2006.
Many other stores, organizations and media are chasing those same 4,300 households.
Maybe the stores can hold on until the Urban Outfitter customers grow up and get well-paying jobs.

1 comment:

Leslie Wilkinson said...

wow... those are some telling numbers! No wonder I always get funny looks when I take my newspaper-salaried self in there to shop.

I'm older than all of the kids in there and much poorer than the women my age and older. Hmm... so why do I continue to shop there? Maybe it is that branding thing at work on me.